Tuesday, September 2, 2014

All the Light We Cannot See


I just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  Wow.  Where do I start with this book?  It took me longer to read it than most books, not only because of the physical length but also because of the weight of the writing.

The book told the stories of two separate characters- Marie-Laure, a young, blind French girl; and Werner Pfennig a highly intelligent German boy.  It follows their early lives in France and Germany.  The book has many lesser characters whose foreign names made them difficult to keep track of in the beginning.

The story deals with topics about the Nazis, fate, the meaning of relationships, technology, and the small choices we all make that effect the rest of our lives.  That is a very simple description of a book that I will not soon forget.  I felt many emotions while reading it- curiosity, sadness, exhaustion, elation, the whole spectrum of human emotions.  I highly recommend this book.  Now excuse me please while I try to overcome my book hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment